A typographic project looking at changing the existing comic sans typeface in order to make it more usable. My idea looked at having both a left and right handed version of the typeface, resulting in LH comic and RH comic. The project also asked to include the new typeface in either a type specimen poster or booklet, and I chose the latter. As my typeface has two versions, I decided to make two booklets, but joined them together with one opening at the front and the other at the back.
Typographic project looking at the use of type without using a computer. Based around Stefan Sagmeister’s ‘Things I have learned’ book and work, the idea for the project was to photograph handmade typography in an environment. For my text I chose to use the opening two lines of William Blake’s ‘The Tyger’, which I photographed and recorded over the space of four images. The materials that I used to make up the text ranged from string to pieces of wood.
Book cover design for the teenage classic ‘The Outsiders’, aimed at bringing the book to a new generation of reader. My response is based almost entirely as a hand drawn approach. For the cover I focused on the themes of death and innocence through the portrayal of crows and a jumbled up typeface, and I also tried to make the cover look aged through staining the background.
Workshop working in pairs to create a screen printed poster for Glam Racket club night. For our poster we chose to use solely hand drawn typography, with a variety of different coloured card. Due to the fact that the posters are advertising a pub night, we decided to go for a chalk board look, which has been effectively replicated by screen printing. We felt that the black card with fluorescent coloured type posters were the most successful.
My approach for this project looked at family trees and how this could be reflected as a book cover design. Looking at the work of design studio Karlssonwilker, I decided that a digitalised family tree, rather than a hand drawn family tree, would be the best solution. From the initial white background cover, I managed to tweak the design to produce six variations of the book cover.